By Keziah G. Huelar
With its unwavering commitment to excellence and faith, CPU is set to make history in the upcoming years.
Central Philippine University’s 113 years of existence hold a rich testimony of historical breakthroughs. A center of academic, cultural excellence, and faith, the university holds true to its mission of producing Exemplary Christian Learners for Life throughout the years. Here are some notable facts from CPU’s establishment to the present:
- Central Philippine University was established in 1905 through a grant given to the American Baptist Foreign Mission Society by business magnate and philanthropist, John D. Rockefeller.
- CPU is the first Baptist university and the second university established by Americans in Asia (the first being Silliman University in Dumaguete City).
- In 1913, CPU (previously known as Jaro Industrial School) began to admit female students.
- Iloilo Mission Hospital, the university hospital established in 1901, is the first hospital and nursing school in the Philippines.
- Dr. Henry S. Waters is the first dean of the CPU College of Nursing from 1947-1948.
- The CPU Republic is the oldest student government body in Western Visayas.
- On April 1, 1953, through a charter, Central Philippine College was named Central Philippine University.
- CPU’s first Filipino president is Dr. Rex D. Drilon.
- CPU is recognized by the Iloilo City Government as a tourism site.
- Dr. Linnea A. Nelson is CPU’s first female president.
- The CPU Library is one of the biggest libraries in Asia.
- The Valentine Hall used to be the administration building of the university.
- CPU currently has the most number of Centers of Excellence and Centers of Development in Western Visayas.
- CPU is the only fully autonomous university in Iloilo.
- The first Filipino anthropologist, Felipe Landa Jocano (1920-2013), is a Centralian.