By Francis Neil G. Jalando-on
Central Philippine University (CPU), for the third straight year, is once again included in the Quacquarelli Symonds’ (QS) Asia University Rankings for 2023. In the list are 16 universities in the Philippines and CPU is the only one in Western Visayas.
The QS Asia University Rankings 2023 featured 760 universities in Asia, the biggest number to date. The list was released by QS Rankings on November 8, 2022 through its website https://www.topuniversities.com/.
The top 16 schools in the Philippines that are included in the Asia University Rankings are the following:
1. University of the Philippines (87)
2. Ateneo de Manila University (133)
3. De La Salle University (171)
4. University of Santo Tomas (175)
5. Ateneo de Davao University (551-600)
6. Mapua University (551-600)
7. Silliman University (551-600)
8. Mindanao State University – Iligan Institute of Technology (601-650)
9. Saint Louis University (651-700)
10. Xavier University (651-700)
11. Adamson University (701-750)
12. Cebu Technological University (701-750)
13. Central Luzon State University (701-750)
14. Central Mindanao University (701-750)
15. Central Philippine University (701-750)
16. Lyceum of the Philippines University (701-750)
According to the QS webpage https://support.qs.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4405955370898-QS-World-University-Rankings, the following are the six indicators that determine the rankings:
1. Academic Reputation 40%
2. Employer Reputation 10%
3. Faculty Student Ratio 20%
4. Citations per Faculty 20%
5. International Faculty Ratio 5%
6. International Student Ratio 5%
A complete discussion of these indicators is found in above webpage.
CPU was established by American Baptist missionaries in 1905 and currently has an enrollment of 15,634. It is ISO 9001:2015- certified for its educational and other services. Recognized as an autonomous higher education institution by the Commission on Higher Education, many of its programs enjoy high levels of accreditation. Some programs are Centers of Excellence or Centers of Development.