History of the CPU School of Graduate Studies
The dream of those who built Central into a senior college, and later into a university, of course, included a graduate school with facilities and leadership for creative research. The venture into graduate education, like all the other program expansion of CPU, was initiated in response to a national or community need. The revolutionary changes in Philippine education brought to Central some teachers and administrators who wanted to prepare themselves better to meet these changes.
In 1949, Dr. Alfredo Catedral, dean of the CPC college of Education, and President J. Morris Forbes began to offer courses in Research, Education, and Guidance and Counseling toward a Master of Arts in Education.
The School of Graduate Studies was formally opened in 1951 with Dr. Linnea A. Nelson as Dean. Dr. Nelson, holder of Ed.D degree from the University of California, Berkeley, had been a missionary in China from 1935 to 1949.
In November, 1961, Dr. Leonard L. Bowman assumed duties as dean in the absence of Dr.Nelson, who was then on furlough. Dr. Leonard L. Bowman had been Dean of Education at the University of California at Santa Barbara before he came to the Philippines.
When Dr. Bowman left in 1964, Dr. Nelson resumed the deanship. When she was asked to serve as acting president during the school year 1965-1966, Dr. Macario B. Ruiz served as acting dean at the same time continuing as Director of Instructional Services.
In 1965, courses leading to the Master in Business Administration (M.B.A.) were developed because of pressing requests from the students and alumni of the college of Commerce. Prof. Alex Gonzales, Celso Hofilena and Manuel Obligacion taught these M.B.A. courses. Later Jessica Salas and Rodolfo Gumabong, both M.B.A. alumni, helped strengthen this program.
When Dr. Rex Drilon assumed the presidency of the University, Dr. Nelson again took over the deanship. When she retired in 1968, Miss Emma Ortigoza served as executive officer until Miss Elizabeth Chambers arrived to take over as dean.
Upon Dr. Elma S. Herradura's return from a leave of absence, she assumed the deanship in November, 1968, and began creative expansion of the program of the school.
The doctoral program was begun in 1969. In the same year, the School of Graduate Studies also began the Master of Science in Agronomy and the Master of Arts in teaching Agriculture under the leadership of Dr. Lenwood Edge and Dr. Wilfredo Espada.
In 1974, in response to another need for qualified teachers in the Colleges of Nursing, the school began its Master of Arts in Nursing (M.A.N.).
The Master of Divinity and Master of Ministry were begun in 1970, in cooperation with the College of Theology.
As part of the Panay Island Consortium for Rural Agricultural Development (PICRAD) activities, the school offered courses toward a Master in Sociology and Master in Agricultural Economics.
Masteral courses leading to Master in Engineering with major in Engineering Education, (Civil Engineering, Mechanical Engineering and Chemical Engineering) were begun in 1981.
The School of Graduate Studies has been closely linked with the university's faculty development program. Its graduate courses in education, English, business administration, agriculture, and nursing enable the teachers of undergraduate classes in these areas at CPU as well as in other tertiary institutions to enrich their preparation.
In July, 1979, the School of Graduate Studies opened four classes in career English for CPU administrators and faculty members, with Dr. Eliza Griño as teacher. Career English was aimed to hone the faculty members' communication skills. This course is now recommended for all graduate students whose communication skills in English need upgrading.
The School of Graduate Studies has been chosen by the fund for Assistance to Private Education (FAPE) as a graduate center for M.B.A, M.A in English and Master of Engineering for the following fields of specialization: Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and Mechanical Engineering.
In 1994, the Master of Engineering degree program was conceived by the consortium of ESEP/DOST selected schools in the Visayas and Mindanao with the assistance of DOST. CPU is the selected school for Region VI. Started in June 1995 the program is unique in a sense that it is industry, rather than research-oriented.
On April 1, 1995, Dr. Miriam Traviña was appointed dean in order to give the former dean more time to serve as Vice President for Academic affairs. The new dean was tasked to prepare the curriculum and work on all the requirements for the new degree program, Master in Public Administration (M.P.A.). The program was evaluated by the Quality Assessment Team (QAT) of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) on June 1, 1995 and was granted a permit to offer M.P.A. starting first semester, 1995-1996. In May 1997, CHED's QAT again evaluated the M.P.A. program and gave it a 100% rating, which led CHED to grant the School of Graduate Studies government recognition to offer M.P.A.
Another major task of the dean was to prepare for the accreditation of the three degree programs of the School of Graduate Studies. These programs are Master in Business Administration, Master of Arts in Education and Doctor of Education. The School of Graduate Studies was visited by the accrediting team of the Association of Christian Schools and Colleges -AA on August 7-11, 1995 and was granted Level I accreditation status on June 30, 1996, valid until January 1998.
On May 16, 1997, Dr. Fely P. David was appointed as dean of the School of Graduate Studies upon the retirement of Dr. Traviña. Dr. David worked on the further development of the school in the areas of research, outreach and information technology. During school year 1997-1998, the Counseling and Chaplain Ministry Program of the School of Graduate Studies was formally established and the School's "Adopt a Barangay" Outreach Program was born. This school year, computer and Internet services for research and communication purposes became available to students and faculty of the School of Graduate Studies. School year 1997-1998 was also re-accreditation period for the School.
The CPU School of Graduate Studies has shown itself to be what it should be: an intelligent evaluator of the problems and needs of changing times as they impinge upon the training of manpower. To the School's credit is the fact that as it sees, so it does. Its history reveals its appropriate and timely response to many and varied calls for training and assistance.